Register As A Licensor

Register As A Licensor

What is a Licensor?

A licensor is one who holds the exclusive licence for the copyright in a recording and/or a music video.  This means you own the copyright in the recording itself – different from the copyright in the song.  This can involve independent artists and record labels.

You’re also a licensor if you have an exclusive licence agreement for Australia with the owner of a recording.  An example of this would be a local record label releasing in Australia a recording owned by an overseas record label.

So, rather than every sound recording copyright owner having to grant licences to every business playing their recordings in public, we handle the workload.  We currently collect licence fees from around 50,000 venues Australia-wide, including cafes, bars, fitness centres and shopping malls, as well as radio and TV stations

How Do I Apply?

The procedure for registering with PPCA as a PPCA Licensor is as follows:-

  1. Complete the online ‘registration form’ (available here).
  2. We will then send you the standard PPCA input agreement.
  3. You will then need to execute and return this input agreement to PPCA.

The standard input agreement terms, are available here

We also draw your attention to the requirement for each Licensor to establish and provide PPCA with a copy of its Direct Licensing Policy (see Clause 3 of the agreement). The Arts Law Centre of Australia, the not for profit national community legal centre for the arts in Australia, has published information sheets to assist in the preparation of such policies, and these can be found here.

If you're an independent artist you might also like to register as an artist.


Did you find what you needed?

If you did not find the information you needed please send an enquiry so we can help you.